For many years I thought to myself, "I'm not happy". Looking back, I couldn't even define happiness. All I knew was that by my account, I wasn't it. I wasn't always smiling, I didn't have everything I wanted in life. Therefore, I spent most of my time stressed out and the opposite of happy.
The other day I was overwhelmed with emotion because I realized that while my life wasn't exactly where I always thought it should be, I was happy. I was overflowing with gratitude for all that I currently have. It's not perfect, and most likely never will be but I'm blessed to be breathing and everything else is abundance. After I devoted a considerable amount of time to gratitude for this revelation, I thought about the years I'd spent trying to get to the moment I just experienced and wanted to share the things that I believe held me back. You can't go back in time to change things. but hopefully, if you're reading this you either can relate or save yourself the struggle.
Here is a list of the top 10 things that held me back from finding true happiness
- Caring what everyone else was going to think
- Not spending enough quality time with family
- Idle Time
- The years I gave in to Self-doubt
- The countless hours I spent sulking over love lost
- Hours I spent thinking about how life could have been
- Watching all those hours of Jersey Shore...
- Letting fear stop me from moving forward
- Not appreciating the great times
- The time I spent not being Present